Tuesday, April 1, 2014

9 Down 41 to Go on My Quest for 50


MY QUEST TO 50
9 Down and 41 to Go!

Delaware Half Marathon 13.1 Miles


March 23, 2014
 
So I completed my 9th State Delaware a couple of weeks ago. This was my 15th Half Marathon since I first started to run in 2009. I was hesitant at first to run this race because I was sidelined due to a knee injury so with my lack of training I didn’t feel l can finish it. A few days before the race I decided what the heck and let me just get it over with. This was my mentality just to get it over with, with maybe 4 or 5 days of training, yes said days not weeks of training. I was not confident at all.


The day of the race I got ready like I normally do and prepped as any normal race day with the exception of putting on a knee brace just to keep it secure. As I started I felt ok still thinking about the knee and being cautious. I was feeling good, ran with some friends so it was a good distraction for me.
I didn’t wear my fuel belt which wasn’t a good idea the water stations were so far apart and I usually take a sip every 10 to 15minutes.  Around mile 6 I had to adjust the brace felt it slipping, felt a minor ache but nothing to make me stop. Then mile 7, 8, 9 and up to mile 13 all hills, ughhhhh. I’m usually ok with hills but due to lack of training these hills kicked my butt. Right before mile 12 I looked at my watch and saw that I can make the under 2 hour mark which I wasn’t planning at all. I told my friend next to me after the grunting from him and a few other people around me which was pretty funny we can make it. We decided to book it to the finish line until I saw yet another hill and it slowed me down. I saw the finish line and sped up again and made it at 1:59:44. Not my best time but not my worst. So happy I did it and now just 41 more states to go.
My next state planned is Colorado in July and then I will be 10 on my Quest for 50.
Until next time, Happy Running!
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment