Tuesday, November 20, 2018

My Quest to 50-18 down 32 to Go (2018 Race Season)


This year 2018 my Motto was to “Do Epic Shit”, I had triathlon goals, I had running in different states goals and completing 2 marathons and I did just that. It was truly an Epic year with blood, sweat and lots of tears put into some of these races.  I may be exaggerating a bit with the blood but I did cut my ankle when I fell on my bike trying to unclip, yes I didn’t fall off the bike I fell on top of it haha. This year was truly epic with even forming bonds with my teammates and making new friends along the way. I do these races because I love the training and challenge what my body is capable of.




My first part of the season I was able to travel to 2 states and run a half marathon in each. The first was West Virginia in April, the race was a local town race, wasn’t there visiting long but hey I checked off another state on my quest to 50. In June I traveled to Seattle Washington for my birthday and planned an epic long weekend. I ran a 5k on my birthday went to visit some places I wanted to eat and sight-see, the next day I ran a half marathon and did more sightseeing. The day after my half marathon I went snowshoeing up Mt Rainier which was absolutely beautiful.
 

 



The Second part of the Season the NYC triathlon and Ironman Maine 70.3, Chicago Marathon, Baltimore Half Marathon and NYC Marathon was a juggle between training for my triathlons and beginning my marathon training.
NYC triathlon is always a fun race and always a hot one, I was able to complete the course but people that started after me were cut off on the run. I finished a few minutes better than 2 years prior.
Maine was a crazy adventure, from training to almost not wanting to do the race because I was scared I wouldn’t meet the bike cut off but I did by a half hour. The swim was awesome; the bike was nerve wrecking but had my teammate on the course with me as we pushed each other throughout. The run was hot and I got lost on the course, I drank so many liquids due to not drinking enough on the bike by time I crossed the finish line I puked ugh.

 




Chicago Marathon, what can I say about Chicago, loved the city did lots of touring with my friend; the Al Capone/Ghost Tour was very interesting. The course was mostly flat with few hills, they say you can definitely set a personal record here but my legs had other ideas and gave out by mile 19, mostly my fault because I did a lot of walking the days before the race touring the city, ended up doing 10 miles a day since I arrived. The spectators in Chicago were amazing; the weather was great although it did rain for a few miles.  



Baltimore Running Festival, I went to Maryland by bus for 1 night to run a half marathon and complete my 4th state for the year. I read reviews on this course how Baltimore is hilly and I knew what to expect and to take it as a training run for New York since it was 2 weeks before. I subbed 2 hours on this race taking it easy but those hills phew; I think 1.5 miles of the 13.1 of the course was the only flat part. We missed the bus going back to NYC because of the crazy traffic but it was oh so worth it afterwards to indulge on some yummy crab and crab cakes.
 


My last big race of the season was the NYC marathon, although I started in a later coral and stopped to use bathroom during the race, the block party is always great. The most spectators I have ever seen in NYC and the course were filled with runners, I don’t remember a part of the race where it spread out and I wasn’t constantly zigzagging and getting elbowed.  My legs felt strong throughout, by the time I got to the Bronx I started to slow down a bit and stopped a few times to get a coke and give hugs. By the time I got to 5thave the slight incline I started to feel a bit out of it, legs were still feeling good but not sure if it was the crowd that was making me feel a bit off or the 1 gel that I lost during the course and needed that extra energy. With a half a mile to go I took my glasses off and started to walk a bit, didn’t want to faint from whatever it was I was feeling. I made the turn back into the park and started to run to the finish line. I was happy to be done; I was disappointed with my finish time as my legs felt strong but it is what it is and on to the next one.
 

 


I will be doing one more reason before the year is up, Ted Corbitt 15k in Central Park, which is one of my favorite distances. 
My goals for 2019 are in the works which will be a mix of Marathons and Triathlons and shorter distances, stay tuned.

Until next time Happy Running, Boxing, Hiking, Swimming, and Biking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment