Wednesday, August 22, 2012

5 DOWN 45 TO GO- RHODE ISLAND

MY QUEST TO 50
5 Down 45 to Go
PROVIDENCE ROCK AND ROLL HALF MARATHON 13.1
                                                     PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND
AUGUST 19, 2012

On Sunday August 19, 2012 I completed my 10th Half Marathon since 2009 and completed my 5th state on my Quest to 50.

DAY BEFORE RACE
My race buddy for this trip was my friend Farah, we arrived in Providence, Rhode Island Saturday morning and went straight to the Rhode Island Convention Center to pick up race packets. After the expo we checked in to our hotel which was walking distance from the convention, we stood at the Hilton Providence Hotel, which was perfect location for race and expo and bus station.




Later that evening we went to Providence’s Little Italy on Federal Hill, again walking distance from hotel. We decided to have our carb loading meal at a place called Medaterrano which was very good; I had chicken Piccata and Penne. After dinner we took a walk to Waterplace Basin where they had a Water Fire show at sunset and before that a Brazilian Ceremony which was really nice.


RACE DAY
Wake up time was at 5:00 am, I started to eat my breakfast and hydrate and tried to keep my eyes open, so not a morning person. No matter how many races I have done, early mornings are no fun for me. We arrived to start of around 6:15 or so we checked out bags, waited on long porta potty lines then we went to race start.
BAG CHECK

So I was warned about the hills in Providence when I first signed up for it, which I had to get in my state and suck it up. As I looked at the elevation chart pre race, it didn’t look too bad. As I started my run I was at a good pace perhaps I thought I started too fast but think my pace has just gotten faster since I have incorporated speed runs into my training. As I reached mile 2 there was a bit of an incline, and in my head I said “sheesh I’m not even warmed up yet” but I got that one over with. A couple of miles later, I reach mile 4 that was one that I said Oh Damm you gotta be kidding me. I train in Central Park so I’m used to the hills but this one was very steep but good training for my friend Farah who is doing a race in San Francisco, hill city.
I think this course was one of the toughest courses I have done but overall I surprisingly did very well by shaving 3secs off my personal record, I know it’s only 3 seconds but I actually thought I wasn’t going to break the 2hr mark. As I reached mile 13 there was another hill, not as steep yet when you get to 13 all you’re thinking is booking it to the finish line but then I had to worry about a hill as well.

  
 
Once I crossed the finish line I went was happy for it to be over, I fueled up with chocolate milk and water and a granola bar. I relaxed on the lawn at the finish and iced my legs and stretched. When Farah and I were ready we walked over to the post race concert and had our free beer that is provided post race, I am so not a beer person but I took a few sips lol









I had a great weekend, race was tough but did well and I will just continue training for the NYC Marathon coming in November.

Next stop will be Hartford, CT in October as I continue my Quest to Run 50 states. Stay Tuned!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment